Wednesday, 10 February 2010

I don't feel like my grades on my college transcripts reflect my true potential?

I don't feel like the grades on my transcripts reflect my true potential. For example, some of my science courses are very difficult and due to my professors getting behind, they don't give as many opportunites for grades, (like only 2 tests and a final) plus, for instance, my current genetics professor gives essay tests which he grades subjectively. Also, I work nearly full time while attending school, and I dont live with my parents becuase they are deceased. I think I would have better grades if I had the opportunity to live at home with mommy and daddy and not work too, but that's not my fate. I hate how my grades arent as good as I know they could be because LIFE has to get in the way. Unfortunately though, many admissions faculty and employers go by your GPA and grades. How can you make the best impression and show that you have more potential than your grades reflect?I don't feel like my grades on my college transcripts reflect my true potential?
Then you're lucky.





A lot people have grades that overstate their potential.





If you're certain that you could be doing better by doing something else, drop out of college and go for it. Do it now, while you're young, and while failure won't cost you more time and energy than you can afford.I don't feel like my grades on my college transcripts reflect my true potential?
First of all, it sounds like you're still in school. That means you have an opportunity right now to make sure you get better grades for the rest of the current school year. Don't ask people to guess that you have potential if you're not doing your utmost to demonstrate it right now.





Depending on where you are in the year, you may have had more choice over your courses now than you did when you began your studies (more electives, that is). Elective courses are a golden opportunity to pull up your GPA. I know because I found that professors in elective courses tend to be a little more generous with good grades. You still have to earn it, of course.





Also, when you're not getting the grades you want on midterms, etc., let that fuel your determination. I ended up in a pre-med type course in college and was really getting low grades on the midterms despite having studied, probably because most folks in class were bucking for careers as doctors. I buckled down so hard in studying for the final that I highlighted just about the whole textbook and was almost reluctant to take time to eat. I must have aced the final because I got a B in the class.





Give the classes you're in right now your all. This too shall pass.





Extracirricular activiites and awards on your resume can make it look more impressive, especially if they relate to the field you're applying for. I definitely chose certain activities in school for their ';resume'; value. Of course, some of those activities were time consuming too, but overall they were worth it. Think about whether you've received any awards or done any activities already that might beef up your resume. (Even going back to high school.)





If you can get one or more written letters of recommendation from your full time employer, and if he/she is enthusiastic about your work ethic, intelligence, effort, etc., that will help a great deal. So endear yourself to whoever you're working for right now and see if your supervisor or anyone above you in the organization will put good things about you in writing (at the appropriate time when you can tell them you're applying for a different type of job).





Also, choose one or two professors who are most happy with your work and do your best to please them if you are still in their courses or if you have ongoing reasons for contact. Your goal is to find a couple of professors who will write enthusiastic letters of reference for you. As a person who has interviewed and hired many a student, I'm impressed if there are two good professors who speak well of a student.





If your school gives you the opportunity to retake a course and substitute a higher grade and thereby pull up your GPA, consider doing it. I was really worried about my GPA in my first two years of college and I literally did that once in a course in which I got a B (I pulled it up to an A the second time -- and yes, I know it was a little excessive to worry about retaking a course in which I got a B, but I don't really regret it. I got a lot out of the course the second time around).





If you're at risk of (or have already received) an incomplete or an ';F'; in some of your courses, talk to the professors about what went wrong and see if they'll let you do make-up tests or projects to fill in any gaps. It often works and it can save your GPA.





If you have additional school terms ahead of you, try meeting withe the professors in advance or right after the term begins to ask them what is required to get an A in their course. I know someone who matained a 4.0 average at a tough university, and this was one of his secrets.





Also, you can make up for some weakness in your academic record by interviewing like crazy. Go to 50 or 100 interviews if you have to. Apply everywhere. By sheer effort, you can sometimes turn lemons into lemonade. If employers want to say no to you, fine. Don't say ';no'; to yourself.





Also, and this is really important, look for the jobs in your field that aren't advertised. Many smaller employers will not have the time or resources to interview on your campus. Find them (send out well written letters to many medium sized and small companies that you'd love to work for in your area), take summer or part time jobs with them, and often those summer or part time jobs will turn into full time offers.





Also, if any of your friends have part-time or summer jobs at places you'd love to work, see if they can put in a good word for you. I got one of my jobs partly because somebody knew me and spoke highly of me. I've also helped others get jobs at places I worked.





Don't be afraid to apply to more than one branch of a company, or to reapply six months later if you were turned down before. I was literally turned down by one office of a firm and then hired by another branch. Go figure. And it turned out to be a great job.





Make sure your clothing is top notch -- comparable to what your interviewers are wearing -- and that your resume looks crisp and business-like or suited to the industry you're applying for. These are secondary indicators of quality that employers notice. They won't worry too much about your C in English Literature if you look like an upstanding candidate and your resume and thank you letter are clean and error free.





Oh, and leave unconventional stuff off your resume and your attire. I had a political club I belonged to on my resume -- and one that wasn't widely popular. Silly idea. I dropped it after a while. Why give employers a reason to reject you. Your goal is to have a resume that has, literally, nothing unpleasant or worrisome on it -- nothing but good news. An employer should look at your resume and say, ';What's not to like?'; Ideally they should get the same idea from looking at you and your attire. If you've got tattoos, piercings, etc., consider making them less conspicuous unless, of course, you're applying for a job as a tattoo artist or entertainer. Make yourself easy to like. Smile. Be friendly, supportive, and genuinely interested in others.





That being said, it's painful being rejected when you apply for jobs -- especially if it's a job you really wanted. The only solution I know is to make it a badge of honor. Save every rejection letter for the future day when the same companies offer you a job again (after you've proven yourself in your career). Or just keep track of how many jobs you've applied for and take pride in high numbers. It shows effort, and eventually (as unlikey as it can seem at times) it will pay off. Look under every rock and eventually you will find a treasure.





Don't be discouraged no matter what happens for the rest of this year and next. I've seen many a person who didn't do so well in college but then worked hard once they had their first regular job, becoming an expert and a leader in their field. Once you are 10 years out of school, your transcripts won't be the first thing employers ask for anymore. They want to know what you have done.





Be kind to yourself always. Talk to yourself as if you were talking to your own best friend. If you find yourself being critical of yourself, stop and replace those words with encouraging ones that make you feel better. Being your own best friend will help you stay more motivated through stressful job interviews, studying for exams, and so forth.





I know you're going to get through this and end up in a fine job.





I'm sorry that your parents are deceased and can't be there ot help you through this and cheer you on. I guess, to be honest, my parents didn't actually help me that much in my studies and job interviews -- partly because I was too embarassed to even discuss my struggles with them. But I did have some friends who helped me tremendously. I'm glad you're reaching out for suggestions. That demonstrates resourcefulness, which will serve you well all your life.
your letter of reccomendations will help you out





many employers may frown upon some of the people who didnt work throughout college. they may see themselves in you. discussion of adversity may help you get into grad school or relate with employers.





you may have to demonstrate your ability in an internship or in a low level job where you would be given opportunities to impress others and advance. most of us didnt get to live with mom and dad. if you really couldnt handle working almost full time, then maybe you should have assumed higher debt in school loans....... but you can bring that up as a point of pride in your interviews as well.





Learn how to interview well and demonstrate your skills- even if they didnt show all of your best skills in college exams.
Realize that everyone has things which interfere, whether it is the need to spend a lot of time working, bad teachers, family obligations, or whatever. The best way to make an impression despite the GPA is when you have an opportunity (such as when you are trying to get into school) to make a personal statement. Just make sure that it doesn't come across as a litany of excuses.
Once you get in the real world, most companies will only care that you have a degree, if you have a really great GPA, that is a feather in your cap, but having a lower GPA won't matter unless you are going to grad school or something in academia after college.





Also, your interviewing skills are more important than anything on paper, a resume just gets your butt in the door, the rest is on you.
That's why they include an essay to get to know you better.





At the same time, however, everyones life is reflected in their grades ... but the best way to show that you have more potential than your grades reflect is to write about it in your essay. Also, stepping it up and studying most and such to prepare yourself for tests.





I know it's hard. I have to balance a life and college work as well ... but lots of us do it, and you can too!!
you and everyone else in high school
You just did not live up to your true potential! You are trying to make excuses for why you did not do your best when you had the chance!!! It is not anyone's fault but YOURS that you did not get the grades you wanted!!!
I know what you mean. Next time when you are up for signing up for classes ask diffrent students about the teachers, which one they like, don't like, and why. If work is getting in the way look into some online classes your college might offer (I have taken some and it's great but I don't suggest math online) or you can go 3/4 time instead of full time. Also when ever you can stick it in that you were able to balance full time work and school. You'll be surprised how many actually take this into account.





P.S. Have you tried getting a room mate? Helps with the bills.
The fact that you finished college shows your potential. Grades are not the most important thing in life. I have been to a few interviews and no employer ever asked what I got in Trig or Chem. Keep doing what you are doing and good things will happen.
Your GPA is only One of the things we look at when we are looking to hire. We do look to see if the person worked while going to school. What other activities did the person have (Clubs, industry or trade organizations, service groups)?





A person with a 3.5 who worked and was also involved in a local charaty is as important as someone with a 4.0 for example.





Good grades are important, but they are not the end all.


Sell your other skills or good points.





dfc
Don't blame your situation on your lack of success.





I was Editor in Chief for my college paper, went to classes, commuted 70+ miles a day roundtrip, worked, and had to help several of my friends and STILL pulled a 2.76 G.P.A. It's not an impressive 3.5 or higher but so what?





To do as much as I did and then some and still be a success is hard work. Do I occasionally wish it was higher? Sure. But it doesn't consume my life and I've been able to be a success in whatever I've gone after.





In all truthfulness, most employers don't give a crap about your G.P.A. in college. They want to know your skills, experience, and what you can do for them.





Grades aren't everything. If you're letting your low G.P.A. consume you, you'll never reach your maximum potential. If you work hard and aim to be successful in whatever you do, you will be successful regardless of what your transcript says.
your essay can go a long way... interviews also help
your SAT grades will reflect some thing but if they are also not the best for you then you can try 2 years at as community college and then transfer after you get your GPA up


A good recommendation from a guidance councilor (explaining) will help you.


get a letter from your boss and your favorite teacher also


write a good essay and take a college admisstions course if your school offeres it


my school has a class that is dedicated to getting all the college stuff together.


see where you get into and go from there
Grades do not reflect true potential. They are only a history of how you performed in class. In terms of getting a job, Jack Welch says he will look at your grades when you are fresh out of college with no experience, but grades are only good indicators for your first two years.





I had a 3.39 GPA. I got around that by posting an Accounting Course GPA of 3.7 over 15 Accounting classes. I also talked about projects I worked on while in school and what my contributions were on those projects and how I contributed to leading the team.





In that way, I always get interviews because I write a dynamic cover letter and prepare myself for an excellent interview. I am often called back for the second round of interviews. Leadership potential and class participation trump grades anytime.





Be sure you pay attention and take a Career Development class in your senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment